The Trinity Outreach Commission is a fund created to support ministries that are advocated by parishioners at Trinity.
Parishioners may apply to receive funding on behalf of a ministry they support.
Details are below. The application can be dowloaded and completed and returned or emailed to the parish office.
This year, members of the Trinity Outreach Support Commission included Laird Mortimer, Sonia Bayne, Frank Walton, Kathy Oakes, Tara Smith and Hank Rau. Elaine Chagnon served as Commission Chair and Vestry Liaison.
Trinity Episcopal Church Trinity Outreach Support Commission 11 Church Street, Tariffville, CT 06081 2016 Chairperson: Dana Wild (860) 651-0201
Trinity Outreach Support Commission Application Procedure
1. All advocates (people requesting funds) must be members of Trinity Church Tariffville. The principle advocate should be a layperson. A person cannot be an advocate for himself. All advocates should be personally familiar with the ministry.
2. There must be three advocates, representing different family units for each request. Clergy and staff are welcome, but should not advocate more than two ministries.
3. The Outreach Support Commission will thoughtfully and prayerfully consider all requests and will contact you if more information is needed.
4. After review, the application is presented to the Vestry, along with the Commission's recommendation. The Principle Advocate, and Missionary will be notified whether funds have been approved, and when payment will be sent.
5. Since applications are reviewed annually, advocates for a previously supported mission (renewal application) should submit a new request for each year funding is sought.
Instructions for Advocates
1. Investigate and analyze the Mission. Find two or more other members of Trinity to join you as co-advocates, to assure a broad-based support. Ask people whom you know and who share your zeal for the mission. Church wide mailings would not be appropriate.
2. Be prepared to report on the specifics of the ministry and how they relate to criteria for support, the goals and plans of the mission, and the extent of Trinity's parishioner involvement.
3. Determine the amount of funds to be requested. Understand that in review, the Commission may recommend a different amount.
4. Fill out the form online and email, or print out and mail to the Commission Chair. In describing the goals and objectives of the ministry, please be specific. The goal is for everyone to understand what the ministry is all about. In some cases, it may be best to have the missionary complete certain sections. Feel free to attach other materials (website URLS, newsletters, photos) to support the application. You are welcome to present your application personally to the Commission at their next meeting.
5. Act as liaison to the missionary or recipient. Maintain regular communication with the mission; monitor its progress and effectiveness. Keep the Commission and Parish informed of missionary news. Provide copies of newsletters, or other updates as available for Trinity Times or bulletin board display. When a missionary is in the area, arrange a meeting with the Commission and other parishioners, if possible.
6. Provide continuing prayer support for the ministry; pray individually, with friends, and during worship services. As well as financial support, the Commission's goal is to provide parish-wide spiritual support.
Criteria For Evaluating Requests For Financial Support
1. Evidence that missions receiving funds share the conviction of, and endeavor to carry out Trinity's goal; "to know Christ and make him known." The emphasis for missions is on the latter part: "to make him known."
2. Assurance that the mission is accountable: that it is under a recognized Christian authority.
3. An indication that the recipient, either as an individual or an institution, has a distinct relationship with Trinity.
4. Basis for determining that the mission is financially sound and responsible, either accessibility of financial statements, or assurance of appropriately audited reports.
5. Conviction that the mission has a broad basis of support within the Trinity parish, by having three or more advocates, representing separate family units, all of whom are Trinity members.
Preference Will Be Given To:
1. Ministries which are sponsored by Trinity and which involve direct participation of its members. 2. Known ministries whose work has borne fruit. 3. Missions where funds are directed to the support of a specific individual or individuals. 4. Missions where primary advocates place their own money.
Thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully and prayerfully consider requesting mission funding from Trinity Church. Our Commission will carefully consider your application at our next meeting. Please feel free to contact any of our members with any procedural questions you may have.
In His service,
Trinity Outreach Support Commission Dana Wild 2016 Chairperson
Trinity Outreach Commission Application Form
Please print out, complete, and return to the parish office.